Rafael Nadal withdraws from Laver Cup due to ‘personal reasons’
Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from the upcoming Laver Cup due to continuing illness.
The Spanish tennis star said on his Twitter account: “I’m sorry to leave these beautiful ladies, but I have to do what’s best for me.
“I want my team to be proud of me.”
The 36-year-old Spaniard, who won the Australian Open earlier this year, has not competed since getting abdominal pains at the Indian Wells Masters in Miami.
His withdrawal from the French Open is also due to the health concerns, the world number one said.
“I will continue on with the programme and hope to be back as soon as possible,” he added.
Nadal has played in every event in the clay-court season, which begins with his second round clash with Italian Fabio Fognini on Monday.
His withdrawal could see one of the world’s most dominant players of all time skip out on the grass-court season, which begins with a showdown with American Sam Querrey in Washington on Aug. 5.
Nadal will take on US wild-card Sam Querrey on Thursday in the finals of the Washington D.C. tournament.
“It will be a very hard match,” Nadal said of his encounter against the 20th seed.
“He plays with an edge, which is something I tried to work on.”
If Nadal misses out of the grass-court season, it will be his first missed event since returning from a six-month ban in January 2014.
“I didn’t say anything but now I am getting worried about the grass,” he said at the French Open.
“I have the feeling we’ll be in action soon. So, good game,” Nadal said.
Nadal also took a dig at Roger Federer, who is set to play Nadal in the final of the French Open on Saturday.
“People say, ‘Rafael is getting