After blowback for killing television workshop, Warner Bros. Discovery announces diversity moves
There’s an old trope that is the story behind many of television’s greatest moments. Often, it’s about a new show breaking the mold for how the medium is told, with characters that are the first to be written of, and the first seen of, a big event that is going to influence an entire generation of shows. It’s about something that’s happening and then, hours or days later, it’s the world is suddenly, well, changed by it. And there’s always the hope that it will also be the end of whatever the show is that was in question, and that the new version of that show will be exactly the same.
Warner Bros. and Netflix have been the poster child for this ever since the latter announced A Series of Unfortunate Events had been renewed for a third season. The announcement was met with a flood of criticism, since people noted that the studio was moving into the minority of TV companies that were creating original content. It was further derided for its decision to bring back a show that had already been over-produced, that was already on the verge of cancellation, and had already been canceled twice. “What the hell kind of business decision is that?” someone asked. “If they want a new season of a show they cancelled once a year, why not just make one season?” They took a hit for canceling the show, but the studio seemed to take the hit for canceling it twice. The backlash against the show was loud and clear.
And yet, there was something of a glimmer of hope on Monday, when the studio announced that if they were able to get all of the actors, writers and directors back for the final season of TV’s biggest breakout hit, they would put together a diverse cast.
The announcement came in the form of a press release, in which they said that in order to maintain the series’ integrity and to avoid fan backlash, all of the actors and writers would have to commit to making sure that, no